Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Two Wolves

One evening an old Cherokee told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people. He said, "My son, the battle is between two "wolves" inside us all.

One is Evil. It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.

The other is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith."

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather: "Which wolf wins?"

The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."

2 comments:

Kristin said...

I like your story. But, my comment is to be completely unrelated. What gives you all of your ideas for our names on your page? You change them (some frequently and others infrequently) and I've always wondered what inspires your system of nomenclature.

Anh Pham said...

Hi Kristin, I always appreciate your comments, they usually make me think (but don't feel pressure to be deep).

My system is simple and difficult.

It's simple because I want to describe my friends in only one word so that people who don't know them can get an idea of what they are like. I dislike overly long descriptions so this rule helps.

The drawback is its often quite tough to describe someone in one word.

When I first started assigning names to everyone, I tried describing them in one word, some were easier than others.

You probably noticed the second set of names were redone recently. I did it for Valentines Day and wanted to have a Valentines theme.

But still it I have to ponder for some people...

However, being good friends with Thomson and Christy (due to being Bible work partners for so long) definitely helps. Of course knowing them so well gives me a little latitude to take jabs at them.

For instance, you recently asked me why I called Christy The Dove and Thomson The One. I gave you an answer, which was the truth, but I didn't tell you the complete answer.

You want to guess what the other meanings were for "Dove" and "One"?