Tuesday, February 19, 2008

What Victory Looks Like

Do you know how hard it is to get two knuckleheads together? Especially when the boy has temporarily misplaced his mojo and the girl's intuition is on the fritz? Never in my life had I had to resort to every single Machiavellian trick up my sleeve to make any other conniving scheme work, but it was worth it for my February triumph.

The three tenets I had to obey for ultimate victory...
1. Make the boy think that every idea I had to get him into the vicinity of the girl was actually his idea.
2. Make the girl think that every time she "happened" to be around the boy that there served a practical purpose for some altruistic venture.
3. Use deceit only when necessary, which basically meant all the time.

For instance, one night in January, I needed help moving the baby crib into the basement. It just so "happened" that on a Saturday night I "desperately" needed the boy's help in moving the crib. Of course, with two people carrying such a cumbersome crib in the pitch black darkness of night, I "needed" the help of the girl to be the "lamp to our feet and a light for our path".

Naturally the task was so "taxing", I suggested the three of us should go back into the living room and recover our strength. And what, pray tell, would be a better way to recover than upon the most comfortable coach in all of Collegedale? Of course the boy was too gentlemanly to share the couch with the girl and it took much "prodding" by the man of the house before the boy was convinced that the wobbly wooden chairs from Wal-Mart might collapse under his well-toned, muscular body (due to regular visits to the YMCA).

Hee, hee...


Knowing that something special was blooming I grabbed my Canon Rebel to photograph the historic moment that will be passed down the Paris/Pham family tree.

Of course it didn't take too long before girl and boy felt cozy...


The eventual result...weeks later mojo was rediscovered, intuition was restored, and soon after victory was achieved.

Perhaps I'm taking too much credit, but as a journalist I've learned never to let the facts get in the way of a good story.

3 comments:

Christy Joy said...

wow, anh, gall is not something you lack.

and by the way, you knew i knew what you were doing so number 2 is not altogether true. you didn't make me "think" anything. lol. but you can "think" that i "thought" that if it aids in your victory celebration.

note to my family who, yes, do read blogs: Anh exaggerates EVERYTHING, especially his literary mementos.

Anh Pham said...

Note this, Sister Christy:

1. I have never exaggerated ever, in the history of ever.

2. The camera does not lie, but clever photo cropping does present "another version of the truth".

Kristin said...

Wow, I wasn't aware of how much scheming was involved in all of this ;) Good work Anh.